Thursday, March 6, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night ...

I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. That's why I drove off the road and into a muddy ditch in the wilds of Massachusetts. I should have had a map, I should have had a flashlight, but I had neither.

I climbed out of the car and even with my minimal automotive knowledge I knew I was fucked. The back drivers' side wheel was bent at an angle. Not conducive to driving.

So I grabbed my briefcase and my overnight bag and climbed back up to the road and started to walk. The small B&B was a few miles ahead, if the GPS was correct (and why would it be? My life was a disaster and nothing else went right!)

In keeping with my Karma, the heavens opened just as I wandered into a wide open stretch of road without trees for cover. I kept trudging but in twenty minutes - about the time I saw the lights - I was a drenched mess.

"Hello?" I swung open the door and immediately spotted candles set throughout the lobby of the small quaint house. There was a faint sound of classical music - violins - wafting throughout the dim space - but no humans to be seen.

I dumped my bags at the registration desk (so identified because of the book, keys and an old fashioned quill pen). In fact, the entire place seemed like a set from a Merchant Ivory film. A bit dusty. Old fashioned.

My head had started to ache, but I persevered and followed the sounds of the violin and now a piano that I could hear. A few more feet and I realized that it sounded live, not memorex.

I called out a few hellos, but heard nothing in return. Then I came around a corner and into what could only be called a music room. A great grand piano stood in the middle of the space and at it sat a man of elegant proportions. To the side another man stood, a violin beneath his chin and his long, black hair thrown over his shoulder as he bowed dramatically at the strings.

I stepped forward and caught my breath at the beauty of the music and the majesty of the men.

They stopped playing simultaneously. Both turned to look at me and I was mesmerized by twin gazes of azure and obsidian.

"At last," said the violinist.

"We've been waiting for you," said the pianist.

And the headache dissolved and my clothes disappeared and I stood before the two clad in a black lace negligee that smelled of age and mildew.

And they pulled me into their arms and I sighed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great post. Had me from first sentence. I look forward to reading more. :-)

    ReplyDelete